1. Job vacancy
Title: Arboricultural Officer (two posts)
Closing date: Sunday 22 January 2018
Interviews: Week beginning 30 January 2018
Hours: 40 hours per week
Salary: ENSO2 (£32,133 per year)
Location: Wandsworth Common
Enable Leisure & Culture provides arboricultural management services to Wandsworth Council. We are looking for two motivated and experienced Arboricultural Officers to join a dedicated team in caring for Wandsworth’s trees.
You will have experience of urban tree management including surveys, mapping, and tree recording. You will have up to date knowledge of arboricultural practices and issues and be familiar with current arboricultural legislation. You will hold, or be working towards a National Diploma in Arboriculture and or have other relevant arboricultural qualifications. Candidates will need to be able to travel effectively around the borough to fulfil their duties.
The post requires the ability to participate in a rota system to provide 24 hour, seven-day call-out cover for assessing emergencies.
For an informal discussion, please contact Pat Langley, Arboricultural Manager on 020 8871 6370.
To apply, go to enablelc.org/about-us/work-with-us/
If you do not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date, please presume your application was unsuccessful on this occasion.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Strictly No agencies and CVs are accepted.
Enable Leisure and Culture
L3622 and L3634
Parks and Leisure
Accountable to the Executive Director (Parks & Leisure) for the provision of arboricultural management services in accordance with contract specification.
Responsible to the Arboricultural Manager for
- The inspection and maintenance and recording of the borough tree stock within a given geographic area including the preparation of work schedules and subsequent contract specifications, procurement of tree work and supervision contract works to ensure their satisfactory completion.
- The provision of arboricultural advice and services to client services within Wandsworth Council, or to other agencies, including liaison with client services to ensure that their requirements and legal obligations are being met.
- Answering and actioning enquiries and complaints from borough residents.
- The implementation and promotion of good arboricultural practice.
- Participation in the emergency call out rota and making inspections in response to calls from the emergency services office and actioning any necessary remedial works.
- Provision of arboricultural management services to outside management agencies (schools, cooperatives, housing agents etc.) under service level agreements.
- Inspection and actioning work in respect of dangerous private trees as required by the Highways Act, Local Government (miscellaneous provisions) Act or other legislation.
- Identifying and actioning tree planting requirement6s across the client estate.
- Processing applications in respect of Tree Preservation Order and Conservation Area legislation including site inspections and producing and dispatching decision letters subsequent to assessment of trees on site including provision of pre-application advice to owners and agents.
- Surveying of trees and making recommendations in respect of the making of new Tree Preservation Orders or the updating of existing orders.
- Provision of arboricultural advice and recommendations in respect of development applications including upon the implementation of planning conditions and investigation and recommendations in respect of unauthorized trees works as regards Town and Country Planning Act.
- Undertakes other duties commensurate with the position as directed by the Arboricultural Manager.
You must be able to demonstrate the following:
- Holds, or is prepared to study for, the National Diploma in Arboriculture, or equivalent, and has other relevant arboricultural qualifications.
- Practical experience of tree inspection and management.
- Up-to-date knowledge of current legislation in respect of trees and arboriculture and current arboricultural techniques and practices.
- The ability to communicate effectively with the public in writing and face to face under, at times, stressful and emotive situations and to maintain a polite, sympathetic manner with the public whilst providing excellent customer service.
- Experience of supervising staff and contractors, with the ability to delegate, manage and motivate staff to work in a team environment, in order to deliver a high quality service and adapt to various demands and workloads as required.
- Must be able to work alone on site with the ability to organise and prioritise your own work programme to meet work demands in a timely manner unsupervised.
- Must be physically able to undertake tree inspections.
- Ability to follow procedures methodically and professionally and to record accurate planning and other documentation focussing on detailed requirements.
- Experience of applying numeracy skills in order to provide accurate tree data recording, financial and statistical information.
- Must be computer literate with experience of using Access, Excel and other MS Office applications and bespoke packages, in particular experience of tree data recording and using databases and mapping software.
- Ability to travel freely and quickly within the borough.
- Ability to work additional hours including weekend call-out duties based on a one weekend in three/four, on a rota basis, shared with the other members of the team.
- To be prepared to work additional hours, as required, to meet the needs of the service.
2. Job vacancy
SJAtrees is one of the foremost Arboricultural Consultancies in the SE, undertaking a range of planning and hazard survey work for prestigious commercial clients.
We are now looking to recruit another Surveyor/ Technician to join our team from January or February 2018, supporting our highly-experienced AA Registered Consultant and other Consultants. The role, based from our offices in Tadworth will provide a wide variety of work, including pre-development tree surveying and reporting, tree condition and veteran tree assessments, supervision and monitoring of new buildings close to trees and CAD. Sites range from single trees to large developments with 1000 + trees.
We offer a mentoring programme and significant training, including PTI certification. You will gain valuable experience in tree surveying and reporting. Candidates should have a background of sound practical experience in tree surgery / climbing or Local Government planning/tree management and now wish to broaden their career into Consultancy or have recently graduated with a degree or recognized equivalent qualification in arboriculture. We are also interested in experienced surveyors looking for their next career move.
Excellent written and verbal and communication skills, I.T. literate and with a practical approach. CAD experience would be a distinct advantage, although full training will be offered. An ability to undertake climbed tree inspections is desirable but not essential.
Salary according to experience and qualifications and in the range £25k to £34k pa. We offer a Pension scheme and 25 days paid holiday and shared use of a company vehicle.